Monday, November 1, 2010

Thrifty Blogger of the Month: Myriam of Myriad of Mischief!

I am so excited to announce this month's Thrifty Blogger: Myriam of Myriad of Mischief! She has excellent style- effortlessly mixing thrifted, vintage, and crafted items into fun and unique outfits :)

I just love Myriam's blog and think you will too!


Read on for Myriam's thrifting adventures and spot-on tips (you'll be glad you did!):

________________________________________________________

Another's Treasure: When did you first start thrift shopping, and why did you begin?


Myriad of Mischief: I've been a thrift shopper for quite some time now! Seriously. I know I've been at it at least since the second grade, when Savers opened their first store in my hometown. The "why" aspect is a bit harder to answer, I bet my parents were just intrigued by the grand opening banner and decided to take a look. Being part of a close-knit Latino family, of course that meant that I was also along for the ride!

I was never grossed out by the idea of used clothes and would often pick out my own outfits. It became a family outing of sorts! I also remember waking up early on Saturdays to scour garage sales and flea markets and rummage sales with my dad. I'm surprised that I didn't become a hoarder...

I didn't consciously start scouring for vintage until my freshman year of high school. Before I would wear whatever grabbed my fancy without paying attention to tags or fashion or anything like that. I also became involved in theatrical productions, focusing on costume and make up. That required a lot of research in the history of fashion.

High school was also around the time that I happened upon the concept of fashion blogging, though I didn't have an account, I just read them. All of those influences merely fueled my creativity.


Now a sophomore in college, I tend to do my thrift shopping solo since I no longer have to rely on mom and dad for transportation or money. A bit of a loner, I seek solace within the aisles of used clothes. If I'm bored, I'll hit up my favorite thrift haunts. Thrift shopping has become second nature for me; I really can't picture myself stopping anytime soon.
Myriam's outfit is completely thrifted, except flats from H&M in Spain; Photo Courtesy of Myriad of Mischief
AT: What do you consider your best thrifted find ever?

MofM: EEEP! This is a toughie, I acquire new favorites all of the time! If it comes down to longevity, I would have to say my best thrifted find is this 70s royal blue ribbed cardigan with a cream crochet tree design insert. I've had that baby since my freshman year of high school!

AT: What would be the ultimate coolest thing to see for a dollar at a thrift store?

MofM: Honestly, anything that's on my mental thrift wish list...that fits...and is in tip top condition! That being said, shoes! I wear a size 9, 10 if it's vintage. It's really difficult to find cute shoes in my size.

AT: Do you have any tips on finding great things while thrifting?
MofM:
1. Go often. I think that's key. Many places put out new things everyday and once it's gone, it's gone.
2. Go in with a mission. Things can quickly become overwhelming if you don't have anything specific that you're looking for. You'll come across other gems as you're scouring about.
3. Don't be afraid to explore new venues. I'm finding that big thrift chains are starting to mark up their prices and are often picked over.
4. Try things on! Sizing can get wonky at times and some things look much different once they're on and no longer on a hanger.
5. Get inspiration from street style websites and fashion blogs; a trip to the library will school you in the history of fashion.
6. RUMMAGE! You can't expect things to jump out at you. You must dig and put forth some effort and time.

"Really, it all comes down to the hunt. And what a fine hunt, indeed!" -Myriam; Myriad of Mischief
_____________________________________________________________________

Thank you, Myriam, for sharing your thrifting backstory and excellent advice!
 
Everyone, be sure to check out Myriad of Mischief and Myriam's etsy shop!
 
Always,
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I love the tips, Myriam! So true about trying out new thrift shops- our Goodwill is so overpriced now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole family would go thrifting too!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! You all are the best!